My tunisian crochet shawl, that I initially started at Christmas and then restarted in March, is now officially FINISHED… yay! And just as the heat of summer hits. That was some bad planning.
As I’ve said before, this shawl first caught my eye when Simply Crochet came out last December (Issue 25). Back then I had no idea what Tunisian Crochet was, but since when has that ever stopped me. It looked beautiful! I loved the deep red that it was made in, but I wanted to get started straight away and the only 4ply I had was a pretty lilac cotton. Well, yea that cotton didn’t work out and I quickly abandoned the shawl in favour of other projects.
In March I decided to restart using a gorgeous variegated yarn. The main part (the bit for your neck) was completed quite quickly and it looked gorgeous, but then I paused for a long time as my ME was flaring up and I couldn’t concentrate on the next part of the pattern. Boo! Eventually though when I reread the pattern on a good day, it just clicked and since then it’s been a breeze – it’s a lot simpler than it initially looks.
Anyways, I’ll stop babbling and show you some pictures … it’s so pretty!
As the sun is shining brightly today, I decided to take my lunch (and the shawl) over to the lake. I love it there, so peaceful and relaxing. And I found the perfect spot to sit under a shady tree.
I took the shawl with me for some more photos in the sunshine 🙂
But it was a bit breezy in the shade – good job I had the shawl on me!
Here’s some facts about this project:
- Yarn used – Kunstgarn by Hjertegarn (colour is Number 7 berries).
- Number of balls of yarn used – 2 full balls and only about 10 inches from a third … annoying
- Size – 112 cm round the neck, 150ish at it’s widest and 36cm long. But it’s stretchy too 🙂
- Cost – I got the first ball of yarn at Yarndale last September, but then when I decided to use this for the shawl I knew that I needed some more and re-brought some for £7.50 each. At two full balls (I’m just ignoring the 10 inches I took from the third ball) this shawl cost £15 to make.
- Hook – I used a lot of hooks! The first part was made using a 4.5mm Tunisian Hook and the small squares on the main body of the pattern varied from 4.5mm to 8mm hooks. I started off using Tunisian Crochet hooks for the main body, but there were such a small number of stitches for each the squares that an ordinary hook (without a bulky comfy handle) worked just as well.
You may remember that our new vegetable planter that i shared with you a few weeks back (If you forgot you can refresh your memory on our little vegetable garden here), well we have actually started to see teeny things growing! We have a tiny inch long bell pepper and even teenier strawberries … now to just keep them alive!
We also harvested our first lettuce YAY! I love eaten home grown goodies.