I made my first knitted item … I can knit!

I made my first knitted project ... I can knit! www.yarnya.co.ukDespite my growing list of potential crochet projects and my WIPs, at the end of my post last Friday I said that I was on the look out for my first knitted item to make. I then remembered my new book ‘Anyone can Knit’ and went straight there for something to do.

The book is broken down into lessons followed by projects to practice what has been learned. The first project in the book was a garter stitch place mat, but I felt I had practiced that enough, so I skipped straight to project number two – wrist warmers.

For this project I needed to learn how to complete the rib stitch, which is knit one and purl one repeated across the row. I know how to knit and purl, so this would be easy … in theory. In practice it was fiddly. My fingers still don’t want to accept their orders. Every time I start a new row my left hand puts up a fight to hold the yarn like I do when I crochet. I have actually had to tell my left hand to put the yarn down, but I persevered and worked my way through the pattern and thankfully my it adjusted to it’s new role by the time I had finished.

1436696738545

I loved watching this small project grow and after a day of on and off knitting I had completed not just one, but an actual pair of functional wrist warmers – ta dah!

I made my first knitted project ... I can knit! www.yarnya.co.uk

I love them! Pity that it’s summer and I have no need for them right now.

They’re not perfect. I cast off a little too tightly on the second one and the tension is off on some of the ribbing. I definitely have to practice a bit more, but they’re wearable and for a first attempt I’m happy. I may even make a second pair.

For now though I’m going to move onto the next lesson in the book – adding texture and pattern. There’s a whole bunch of lovely texturesย including moss stitch, basket stitch and diamonds on stocking stitch. Exciting! Time to get making some swatches.

Advertisements
About

I'm a self-confessed yarnaholic from Essex, UK. There's a whole world full of yarny goodness out there โ€ฆ remember to bring tea and cake

Tagged with: , , ,
Posted in Finished Project
14 comments on “I made my first knitted item … I can knit!
  1. kieravanella says:

Great job! I’m just learning to knit myself and I love those!

Liked by 1 person

2. Bekki Hill says:

They look lovely. Well done ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

3. Lindsey says:

They’re lovely! And the yarn is gorgeous!

Liked by 1 person

4. Faith says:

Love it ! Congrats. Nothing makes me happier then completing something I knew I didn’t know how to do preciously

Liked by 1 person

• yarnya says:

Thank you! Yea definitely feels like an achievement ๐Ÿ˜€

Liked by 1 person

• Faith says:

It does that’s why i love arts and crafts. Right now I’m attempting granny squares and then I wanted to be fancy and make one that look like circles but that not working lol. But it’s all out of love. It’s for my niece who should be here in August. So this blanket will be lopsided but hey it’s all made with love

• yarnya says:

Ooo i love that! I’m sure your neice will love it ๐Ÿ™‚ there’ll be a lot of love in that blanket. Could blocking it help it to lay straighter?

Liked by 1 person

• Faith says:

I don’t know what means lmao I’m a newbie just trying to learn thru you tube which is so much harder then any of the other crafts I’ve done before. And my niece will be a newborn so I doubt she’ll know the difference lol ๐Ÿ™‚

• yarnya says:

Blocking is a finishing touch to an item. You pin a piece out and hold it in it’s final shape. I like to use my steam iron above the item (don’t touch it though) and then leave it to dry. Great way of neatening up finished objects. And she will when she’s older ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person