I have finished my first Christmas project and what a quick make it was. I shared this beauty of a blanket with you on Friday (if you missed that then you can see my Friday Find post on the corner to corner blankets here) as I only started it on Thursday evening and I stitched my last double crochet last night.
The particular person this present is for doesn’t read my blog (as far as I’m aware), but I knew I wanted to make them a blanket pretty much all year. I just couldn’t decide which blanket to make … they’re all so pretty! Then I started seeing LOADS of graph blankets using the corner to corner (C2C) method and everyone was saying it worked up really quick. A fast blanket – sounds perfect! So I set about planning this project.
I followed this Red Heart pattern, which also has a video tutorial by the Crochet Crowd for those who prefer visual learning. To be honest though, I didn’t even end up looking at the pattern as the video showed me all I needed to know. I winged the border as I couldn’t decide what pattern to follow, but am pretty pleased with how it ended up.
After about 23 hours of work I have finally finished. It feels like it was a lot quicker than that but because I didn’t have many plans this weekend I was able to sit down and spend 4/5 hours at a time working on it while A played Destiny with his friends. Win win for both of us!
Here’s some facts about this project:
- Yarn used – Stylecraft Special Chunky in Spice, Gold, Copper and Lemon
- Number of balls of yarn used – I bought a total of 12 balls. Deramores had an offer on Stylecraft back at the end of August so I got these at a bargain price!
- Size – 125cm square
- Hook – 7mm
I only had a few scraps of each ball left after I had finished the border. Too small an amount to keep or use to add an extra border row … so I decided to make some decorations to add the finishing touch. I chained the left over scraps together with a 9mm hook to make the cord. I then still had some of the Lemon and Copper colours spare, so I used this free Granny Star Pattern to make a pretty star for each end of the tie.
All 12 balls completely used … well except for all the trimmed off ends 🙂