You may recall back in November that I had a surprise yarn delivery… no I hadn’t placed an order that I’d forgotten about (although that is entirely plausible!). My Auntie Maureen had gifted me some beautiful cotton that she could unfortunately no longer work with. I knew straight away that I wanted to make her something to say thank you.
While working through my Christmas crafting I spent some time looking for the perfect pattern … then I remembered a book that a friend’s Mum lent me. It was a crochet pattern book from the 1970s and there were some gorgeous work with cotton in there. I wrote about this book waaaay back last summer, so I dug out my notes and had a look.
After much umming and ahhing I chose this trolley motif and got to work.
I’ve never worked with such fine cotton before (this is a size 10 if that means anything, it doesn’t to me … yet) and I used a 1.5mm hook! Teensy.
I altered the pattern slightly (I usually do), as I was confused by the wording and found that when I followed what was written there were too many chains between sections, which made it really baggy. It may have still blocked out alright, but I like to be awkward and mess about. However, looking back on the book images and my final project I think my problem was that I went wrong in a few places … but I consistently went wrong in all of the motifs, which no longer makes it wrong … but more like a design feature haha! I’ll have to give it another go to try and understand it better.
Anyway, this was one of my first sneak peaks to you … a close up of one of the motifs. Such pretty colours!
I wish I’d taken a before blocking shot now as it was amazing to see how this all came together at that stage. Before I blocked it you couldn’t see the pattern at all – it was a crumpled mess! I was worried that I’d taken too many chains out, but as I started to pin it down, the beauty emerged and wow I love it.
I took about 100 photos from every angle, but here are some of my favourites…
On the table….
On the floor…
Then with our chopping board as the back ground – loved the black contrast 🙂
And of course a full shot…
And here it is ready to send 🙂
Yarn used – Almost a whole ball of South Maid size 10 cotton (in a mix of purples)
Hook used – 1.5mm
Pattern – “Motif Trolley Cloth” from The Complete Book of Crochet (1973)
Number of motifs – 12 large, 6 small, 10 half smalls
Rough pre blocking size (I forgot to measure it) – 12 inches by 8 inches
Guestimate post blocking size (also forgot to measure… I’m doing well! But it was just a tiny bit smaller than my chopping board) – 15 inches by 11 inches